Sexual abuse as a child – claim compensation

If you have reached our website you have made the very brave decision to explore your legal rights after suffering from sexual abuse as a child.

Are you entitled to claim for sexual abuse?

It is possible that you can make a compensation claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority CICA if you satisfy the following criteria:


    1. You reported the matter to the police within a reasonable timeframe


    1. You then cooperated with the police at all times


    1. You apply for compensation within 2 years of the crime OR your report of the crime to the police.

It does NOT matter if the perpetrator was prosecuted or if the court case is pending.

It does NOT matter if no medical attention was sought after the incident.

You may be feeling lost, wondering where to begin. Try not to worry, you have already taken the first step


For those needing help with emotional support and counselling please also read our help and support following sexual abuse page.

In recent years there has been a change in the public mindset when it comes to discussing sexual abuse or historic child abuse. What was once a taboo subject, no longer is. It remains a hugely difficult area not least for those who suffered the abuse, but changing perceptions have led to more openness and that is a very important step forward.

If you have been the victim of abuse or sexual assault you will have suffered harm both physically and emotionally as a result of your ordeal. Such trauma can be very difficult to overcome and it is entirely appropriate that you should seek compensation.

You may be able to claim an award for the following:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Psychological harm
  • Loss of earnings (if the trauma has prevented you from working or continuing education)
  • Care and services, other expenses.